interrogative adjective definition
WHAT IS INTERROGATIVE ADJECTIVE?
|1.||What book are you reading?|
|2.||Which shirt are you going to buy?|
|3.||Whose Computer is this?|
- In each of the above examples, the interrogative adjectives (What, Which, Whose) modify the noun it immediately precedes: book, shirt, and computer.
- They are called “interrogative” because they are usually used to ask questions. In the above examples, interrogative adjectives (What, Which, Whose) are used for asking questions.
List of Interrogative Adjectives
- In English, mainly we have three interrogative adjectives.
Use of interrogative adjectives with examples
Use of What
- We use what when the amount of possible answers is unknown or unlimited.
|Example: What present do you think you’ll get for your birthday?|
- In the above sentence, the speaker does not have any idea how many possible presents there are.
“What” interrogative adjective examples
- What movie do you want to see?
- What book is your favorite?
- What are you reading?
- What town did they move to?
- What car will they give us?
Use of which
We use “which” when we either know how many choices there are, or we consider the options to be more limited.
|Example: Which movie do you want to see?|
- In the above sentence, the speaker may have been discussing two or three movies with the listener, and they are trying to make a final decision.
“Which” interrogative adjective examples
- Which movie do you want to see?
- Which book is your favorite?
- Which computer do you want for Christmas?
- Which town did they move to?
- Which car will they gift us?
- Which shirt are you going to buy?
Use of Whose
Whose is an adjective that denotes possession, or belonging. We can use it to ask who the owner of an object is.
“Whose” interrogative adjective examples
- Whose socks are on the floor?
- Whose computer is this?
- Whose turn is it?
- Whose book is this?
- In the above examples, the speaker is trying to find out to who the socks, computer, book, and turn belong.
|Recommended Read- Adjectives and its types.|
Congratulations, you have read the complete article about Interrogative adjective definition and examples. If you have any doubts or queries, feel free to leave a comment below. We will respond as soon as possible.
Or Email Us At [email protected]
|Common Noun in Hindi||Proper Noun in Hindi|
|Personal Pronoun in Hindi||Reciprocal Pronoun in Hindi|
|Noun And types of Noun in Hindi||Abstract Noun in Hindi|
|Material Noun in Hindi||Collective Noun in Hindi|
Any topic you want us to cover. Let us know.